Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

What is an HMO?

  • A dwelling will be an HMO if three or more unrelated people are sharing facilities
  • Buildings comprising non self contained flats are HMOs
  • Houses converted to self contained flats before 1991 and not in accordance with the 1991 building regulations will be HMOs
  • A self contained flat converted to 1991 Building Regulations or later if occupied by more than three unrelated persons will be an HMO
The change in definition particularly impacts on smaller shared houses, those occupied by students, which have been brought back into the HMO definition.

 For more information please refer to the 'Also In This Section' to the right.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically