Carlisle Bereavement Services Privacy Notice
Carlisle City Council is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy in terms of how we collect, use, store and destroy your personal information.
We are the data controller of the personal information we will collect from you and under the General Data Protection Regulation, this privacy notice is designed to provide you with all the information you have a right to be provided with.
Why we collect your personal information
We will collect the minimum amount of personal information to comply with statutory requirements or to deliver a service that you have requested. The information given will be used for the following purposes:
· To provide information for statutory registers in accordance with our statutory obligations
· To administer cremation and burial services
· To arrange the collection, storage and interment of cremated remains
· To administer and provide memorialisation arrangements
· To deal with any problems or complaints that may arise
· To process any payments
We only use these details to provide the service requested or for other closely related services such as the provision of discretionary memorial information available within the service which may be of interest to you.
We may also share your personal information where we have a statutory obligation to do so, such as for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime or for legal proceedings.
Your personal information will be processed internally by Council staff in accordance with the Council’s Data Protection Policy. The security of your personal information is important to us, we follow a range of security policies and procedures to control and safeguard access to and use of your personal information.
Access to our Burial and Cremation Administration System (BACAS) is restricted and password controlled.
What allows us to collect your personal information
Data processed by the Council regarding burial and cremation provision is processed because:
· It is required by law
· It is necessary to provide the service which is part of our public task
What type of personal information do we collect and how do we collect it
We may collect the following information about you:
· Your name
· Your address
· Your contact details (telephone number and/or email address)
· CCTV images (to operate a safe environment for all visitors and staff and to monitor cremation services at Carlisle crematorium)
We collect information about you in several ways including:
· When you contact us by telephone, letter or email
· Face to face when you call into our office
· From completed cremation forms
· From completed memorial application forms
· From completed interment forms
· From your request to purchase an “Exclusive Right of Burial” and to erect a headstone application
· From your request to transfer Exclusive Rights of Burial
The legislation, policies and guidance that allow us to collect your information includes:
· The Cremation (England And Wales) Regulations 2008
· The Local Authorities’ Cemeteries Order 1977
How long will we keep your personal information?
All documents relating to cremation, burial and memorialisation will be kept for a minimum period of 15 years.
The Register of Cremations along with the Register of Burials, Grave Registers and Ownership are kept in perpetuity.
Your rights are:
· To be informed
· To access your personal information
· To have inaccurate personal information rectified
· To have personal information erased
· To restrict processing of your personal information
· To obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purpose
· To object to the processing of your personal information
Should you be unhappy with the way we have handled your personal information, we encourage you to let us know so that we can investigate this and provide a response.
Should you then wish to lodge a complaint you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at:
email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate)
Address: Information Commissioner’s Officer, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Bereavement Services can be contacted at: Address: Bereavement Services Office, Carlisle Crematorium, Dalston Road, Carlisle, CA2 6AT. Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01228 817390
Carlisle City Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Address: Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8QG Email: [email protected] Telephone: 01228 817200