Skip to main content | Accessibility
You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Benefits FAQ
Sunday , March , 18 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Find out more benefits support answers with our FAQ page

  FAQ Search Bar

Are you entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction?

Council Tax Reduction helps people on low income to pay their Council Tax bill. It is assessed by comparing your household, any other adults living with you and your personal circumstances with your income.

It does not matter if you already get a discount on your Council Tax, for example: if you live alone.

Only the person liable for paying the Council Tax can apply for benefit.

There are 2 types of Council Tax Reductions:

Main Council Tax Reduction - this is similar to Housing Benefit and will depend on your income, savings and other circumstances; and

Second Adult Rebate - this helps if you share your home with one or more adults. To qualify, the person living with you must:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Not pay you rent
  • Not be your partner or husband or wife; and
  • Not be jointly responsible for paying Council Tax

Second Adult Rebate will be based on the other person's circumstances so your income and savings will not affect Second Adult Rebate.

If you are entitled to both Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate, we will pay you the higher amount.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically