You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Benefits FAQ
Friday , February , 23 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Find out more benefits support answers with our FAQ page

  FAQ Search Bar

Benefits in Work

Can I claim Benefit / Reduction while I am working?

If you are on a low income you can claim benefit / reduction but the more you earn the less benefit / reduction you will be entitled to. You should apply to see if you are entitled to either Housing Benefit or the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Customers can find out how a change in circumstances, such as starting work, may affect their benefits with the online Benefits Adviser on GOV.UK.

We will need to see evidence of your earnings as part of your claim. This will be:

  • 5 weekly payslips or
  • 3 fortnightly payslips or
  • 2 monthly payslips.

If you do not have these you can get your employer to complete an Earnings certificate (below)

Self employed

You can claim benefit / reduction if you are self employed and are on a low income. If you have been self employed for more than a year we would need to see your last audited accounts. If you have been employed for less than a year we would need a completed copy of the self employed pro forma (below). If you would like more information, contact us.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically