You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Benefits FAQ
Tuesday , April , 24 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Find out more benefits support answers with our FAQ page

  FAQ Search Bar

Benefits if your are in Hospital

Benefits while you stay in Hospital

If you are going in to or are leaving hospital you should notify the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Benefits section at the Civic Centre straight away.

This is important as in most cases your benefit entitlement will have to be reassessed to take into account your new circumstances. Most benefits are reduced during a stay in hospital usually after either 4 or 6 weeks but Housing Benefits and Council Tax Benefits are payable for up to 52 weeks. The localised Council Tax Reduction Scheme which replaces Council Tax Benefit as from 1 April 2013 contains similar provisions.

If you were not claiming any form of benefit prior to entering hospital you may now be entitled to claim.

When you come out of hospital you may also be entitled to other benefits if you have become disabled as a result of your illness.

The Visiting Officer provides a support service to customers who are incapacitated in the comfort of their own home and can assist with the completion of any forms that are needed.

Please contact the Benefits office on 01228 817200 option 3 if you would like someone to visit you at home to help you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit / Council Tax Reduction Scheme. We will arrange an appointment and write to you to tell you when we will visit you. All our officers carry ID cards.

Related Services

The local Job Centre Plus can offer advice and support on a range benefits you may be entitled to, this includes bereavement benefits, cold weather payments, crisis loans, funeral payments, Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support and other benefits for people of working age.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically