Tuesday , June , 22 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Starting or changing a food business

Prior to opening or changing a business there a number of things you must think about.

Planning and building control

If you are starting a new food business you may need to obtain planning permission. Visit our planning and building control pages for more information on this matter.

How to Register your Food Business

Most food businesses are legally required to register with their Local Authority at least 28 days before they begin to trade (there is no charge for registration).

Registration allows us to maintain an up-to-date list of all premises storing, preparing, selling or distributing food.

Registration takes effect once the completed form is received. The name, address and type of business carried out will be entered onto a register which is open to public inspection on request.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your local authority.

You can download a copy of the registration form from the downloadable documents section and return by post: Food & Safety Team, Environmental Health, Carlisle City Council, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8QG, or email a scanned copy to [email protected]

Apply online 

You can apply online for the following on the Gov.UK website.

For further assistance, telephone: 01228 817200

After we’ve received your form

A food safety officer will visit your premises to carry out a food hygiene inspection. You will then be given an inspection report and awarded a score as part of the food hygiene rating scheme.

Your rating and inspection report will be made available on our website food hygiene ratings listings to help consumers make an informed choice when deciding where to eat or buy food

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically