You are Here : Residents  >  Environmental Problems  >  Health and Safety
Wednesday , March , 22 2023
| Language and Accessibility

Health and Safety

The Environmental Health team carry out routine inspections of a range of Commercial premises to assess compliance with Health and Safety legislation. We investigate complaints and accidents and provide advice for new and existing businesses.

Enforcement of Health and Safety is split between Local Authorities and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). We deal with the following types of premises:

  • offices
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants/pubs and clubs
  • leisure premises
  • places of worship
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes
  • hair and beauty
  • warehouses
  • builders merchants
  • tyre and exhaust fitters.

Enforcing Health and Safety Law

When a breach of Health and Safety law is identified, either during a routine visit or as a result of an investigation into a complaint or accident, the inspector will decide what action to take. The action will depend on the nature of the breach, and will be based on the principles set out in our Enforcement Policy below .

The inspector will provide employees or their representatives with information about any action taken, or which is necessary for the purpose of keeping them informed about matters affecting their Health, Safety and Welfare.

Accident reporting

Certain injuries, diseases and 'dangerous occurrences' - events which do not cause injury but are potentially very serious - must be reported to the enforcing authority under The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 to 2013 (RIDDOR).

Details of what is included in the various categories can be found on the Riddor website but to summarise, the following must be reported:

  • Deaths (of employees or members of the public)
  • Major injuries (such as fractures and amputations) to employees
  • Members of the public taken to hospital from your premises.
  • Injuries which prevent an employee from carrying out their normal work for more than 7 days.
  • Serious diseases or medical conditions caused by work, such as occupational asthma.
  • Dangerous occurrences such as electrical short circuits causing fire or explosion.
  • How and when to report.

All accidents can be reported to a central point - the Incident Contact Centre through the Riddor website. Fatalities and major incidents can alternatively be reported by phone on 0345 300 9923 - opening hours Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm

Deaths, major injuries, public taken to hospital and dangerous occurrences must be reported immediately by telephone or on the internet.

Injuries which prevent an employee from carrying out their normal duties for more than 7 days (not including the day of the accident) must be reported via the online system within 15 days.

All reports are passed to the Local Authority or the Health and Safety Executive as appropriate.

Construction Activities

Construction Activities

Everyone controlling construction site work has health and safety responsibilities. Checking that working conditions are healthy and safe before work begins, and ensuring that the proposed work is not going to put others at risk, require planning and organisation. This applies whatever the size of the site.

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007-2015 (CDM) can help you to:

  • improve health and safety in your industry
  • have the right people for the right job at the right time to manage the risks on site
  • focus on effective planning and manage the risk - not the paperwork.

Notifiable construction work
If you think you are undertaking a construction project that will last more than 30 days or involve more than 500 person days you must submit a F10 notification form via the Health and Safety Executive website

For further advice try the HSE leaflet ‘Want construction work done safely’:

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically