Tuesday , November , 30 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Building regulations

COVID 19 – Statutory notification and site inspections for all Building Regulation Applications

Please notify the building control department for all statutory site inspections as detailed in your bespoke inspection plan by phoning 01228 817184 or Email [email protected]

All site inspections will be carried out where it safe to do so.

Building Regulations are set by the Government to protect the health and safety of people in and out of buildings, to promote energy saving and to make sure building works provide enough access and facilities for workers.

Is Building Regulation approval the same as planning permission?

No Building Regulation (BR) approval is entirely separate from the process of obtaining planning permission, which may be required for domestic work regardless of whether the scheme is controllable or exempt under the Building Regulations.

Do Building Regulations apply?

The majority of domestic work which requires Building Regulations approval, falls into the following categories:

The erection of a new building or the extension of an existing building for example, a kitchen extension or loft conversion. (Some "extensions" are exempt from the Building Regulations.)

Structural alterations to an existing building. Examples would include underpinning, formation of a through lounge or partial removal of chimney breasts.

Changing the use of an existing building such as converting a house to flats.

The provision of new drainage or the extension or alteration of drainage facilities for example, providing a toilet under the stairs.

Should you be in any doubt as to whether your proposals require consent, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01228 817184.

  Building Regulations FAQ

Dangerous structures and demolition

Carlisle City Council operates a 24 hour service to deal with dangerous structures.

A dangerous structure is one where a building or other structure, or part thereof, is in danger of imminent collapse.

If you think a structure might be dangerous, please ring one of the following numbers:

Daytime: 01228 817184

Out of office hours: (Emergencies Only) 999.

Only use 999 if there is:

  • serious risk of injury;
  • risk of serious damage to property.

Derelict properties safety

If a derelict building is required to be secured against unauthorised access please contact Environmental Health on 01228 817200.


Anyone who wishes to demolish a structure should make an application under section 80 of the Building Act 1984 to the Building Control department. The Act requires the person to notify the Building Control department of their intentions six weeks prior to starting the work. Section 81 and 82 of the Act requires Building Control to respond with a schedule of requirements on how the work is to be undertaken. This is to prevent any danger to the public during the demolition.

You are advised to seek professional help from a surveyor or demolition contractor in order to carry out an assessment of the structure to be demolished and ensure that the methodology for it demolition is safe.


This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically