Sunday , June , 16 2024
| Language and Accessibility

Dangerous Dogs

In an emergency dial 999

Only use 999 if there is:

  • serious risk of injury;
  • risk of serious damage to property;
  • a crime in progress.

Dangerous dogs are dogs that injure people, dogs that are dangerously out of control in a public place, dogs that are believed to be a serious danger to the public or a prohibited named breed.

There are four types of dogs that are banned in the UK, the:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Braziliero.

None of these dogs are recognised by the government as breeds in the UK. It is illegal to breed from, sell, abandon or give away a banned dog.

The police are the proper people in the majority of cases to start proceedings in the magistrates court. The magistrates may make an order without proof that anyone has been injured. The control order may specify the means of control, namely muzzling, keeping on a lead, exclusion from named places or any other measures of control.(including neutering). A destruction order may also be made, but usually a control order will be made first.

To speak to police on any issues around dangerous dogs please call Cumbria Constabulary’s Dogs Unit on 101.

Animal Nuisance

Lots of people keep animals in their house or garden. Pets can include:

  • common "domestic" pets like cats, dogs and rabbits
  • farm animals including chickens, pigs and horses
  • sporting animals like racing pigeons
  • exotic pets such as spiders, snakes, lizards and monkeys.

You may need a Dangerous Wild Animals licence for some animals.

Animals that are not housed and looked after properly can become a nuisance. If they are not cleaned out regularly and the waste disposed of correctly they can cause a smell or vermin nuisance. Animals that are not looked after well can also cause a noise nuisance. Where a smell, vermin or noise nuisance is happening because of an animal, environmental health should be informed, and they will take action on your behalf.

If you are concerned for the animal’s welfare, Trading Standards or the RSPCA should be notified.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically