Funding for the purchase of essential items to meet the most basic needs of children and young people in the UK who are facing exceptionally difficult circumstances.
- Funding body:
- BBC Children in Need
- Maximum value:
- Application deadline:
- None specified
Family Fund Business Services are working in partnership with Children in Need to deliver their Emergency Essentials Programme (previously the Buttle UK Families Programme). Donations received during the BBC's Big Night In appeal are being used to support families facing financial hardship due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis.
Objectives of Fund
BBC Children in Need Emergency Essentials Programme supports children and young people who are facing exceptionally difficult circumstances. This Fund is administered by Family Fund Business Services.
This programme provides items for the most basic needs of vulnerable children and young people who may be:
- Living in severe poverty and suffering deprivation as a result.
- Affected by additional social issues such as domestic abuse, substance misuse, estrangement, disability or serious illness, mental health or behavioural difficulties, abuse or neglect.
Where possible, items will be provided directly rather than awarding a cash grant.
Who Can Apply
Applications must be made through an organisation that is supporting the family or young person and is capable of assessing their needs, and that can also administer the grant.
The support is for the following:
- Children aged under 18 years who are experiencing a crisis or emergency.
- UK or EU citizens who are normally resident in the UK.
- Where the child or young person's family do not have access to support and have insufficient resources to meet their needs.
- Where a child or young person's family are experiencing poverty or destitution or are in receipt of a means tested benefits.
- Where vulnerable low income families have been affected by the recent severe floods.
Consideration may be given where a child or young person, or their family, have an asylum application under assessment or in circumstances where residency criteria is not consistent across the family unit.
Due to the high demand for BBC Children in Need Emergency Essentials grants, only one application per household within a 12 month period will be accepted.
The application for each household will take into account the needs of all children under the one application, it does not mean only one child per household can be supported.
Funding is not available for the following:
- Children whose care is the responsibility of the local authority.
- Adults aged 18 and over.
- Families and young people who are non-EU residents on a student or work visa.
- Families or young people not normally resident in the UK.
- Where a child has not yet been born.
- Payment of fuel/utility bills, council tax or rent.
- Payment of loans or debts, bankruptcy fees.
- Rent costs or deposits.
- Household repairs/adaptations/additions.
- Holidays, school trips or play schemes.
- Childcare/childminding/afterschool clubs.
- Children’s toys/Christmas presents.
- Specialist medical equipment.
- Computers, laptops or mobile phones.
- Televisions, DVD or other entertainment equipment.
- Musical instruments.
- Driving lessons.
- General subsistence costs.
- Funeral costs including cost of headstones.
- Items solely for the use of parents, eg beds for parents.
Applications based purely on financial hardship will not normally be considered.
Funding is available for critical household items as follows:
- Electric cookers.
- Furniture, kitchen equipment and small appliances.
- Baby equipment.
- Fridges and freezers.
- Washing machines.
- Tumble dryers.
- Children's beds and bedding, including cots.
Support may also be available for vulnerable low income families have been affected by the recent severe floods.
How To Apply
Applications may be submitted at any time and will normally be processed within 10 working days.
Applications should be made online at the Family Fund Business Services website. Applications can also be made by post, in exceptional circumstances. Applicants are encouraged to read the guidelines available on the website before applying.
Contact Family Fund Business Services for further information.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
Family Fund Business Services
Unit 4 Alpha Court
Monks Cross Drive
Tel: 01904 550011
Email: [email protected]