British Science Week (BSW), an annual programme of science, technology, engineering, and maths events and activities, will be taking place between 11 and 20 March 2022. Applications are being accepted for the BSW Community Grants Scheme which aims to expand the audiences that engage with science and self-identify as having an interest in science.
Community groups can apply for funding to run their own science activities during British Science Week, working directly with people who are traditionally hard-to-reach and currently not engaged in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activity. Groups that are traditionally under-represented in science include:
- People from ethnic minorities.
- People with low socio economic status (SES), including people disadvantaged in terms of education and income.
- People with a physical or mental condition or impairment.
- People living in a remote and rural location, defined as settlements of less than 10,000 people.
- Girls and women.
Applications from special educational needs, additional support needs, hospital and supplementary schools, as well as English as a Second Language groups are welcome.
Examples of eligible events and activities include, but are not limited to:
- Sports science sessions with football and rugby clubs.
- Community-created science exhibitions in places of worship, community gardens, libraries and pubs.
- Community-led research projects and experiments with youth clubs and groups with special educational needs.
- Scientifically-informed theatre productions and art activities.
- Activity packs and pre-recorded videos.
There are two levels of grants that groups can apply for:
- £500 grants to run one or more events during British Science Week.
- £1,000 grants to run one or more events during British Science Week, as well as follow-up activities that will lead to continued engagement after British Science Week.
The grants can be used for materials, room hire, publicity, speakers, trainers, freelancers, project-specific staff costs, audio-visual hire, reasonable volunteer expenses, transport or other costs of running the event or activity.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted by the deadline of 8 November 2021 (5pm).
Guidelines and an online application form are available on the British Science Week website.
Contact the British Science Association for further information.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- Grant Enquiries
British Science Association
Wellcome Wolfson Building
165 Queen's Gate
Tel: 0870 770 7101
Fax: 020 7581 6587
Email: [email protected]