Grants are available for charitable, not-for-profit organisations whose work benefits communities in Cumbria, Dumfriesshire, Lancaster, Preston and Haltwhistle.
- Funding body:
- Cumberland Building Society Charitable Foundation
- Maximum value:
- £ 25,000
- Application deadline:
The Community Fund is provided by the Cumberland Building Society and administered by the Cumbria Community Foundation.
Objectives of Fund
The funding is intended for charitable, not-for-profit groups for projects that directly benefit local communities in the Cumberland Building Society's operating areas:
There are two levels of funding:
- Strategic grants of up to £25,000 for three years.
- Community grants of up to £5,000 over one year.
Match Funding Restrictions
Match funding is not required.
Who Can Apply
Applications will be accepted from registered and non-registered charities, Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIOs), Community Interest Companies (CICs) limited by guarantee and social enterprises that are engaged in legally charitable work with at least three unrelated trustees or directors.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be based in Cumbria, Dumfriesshire, Lancaster, Preston or Haltwhistle.
- Have 12 months or less running costs in unrestricted reserves.
- Be applying for a project where the majority of people who will benefit are disadvantaged. Or if the applicant is a group working with children, where the majority of the children are disadvantaged or have special needs.
The Cumbria Community Foundation is particularly keen to help grassroots community groups and small-to-medium-sized voluntary organisations. It does not normally make grants to large UK-wide charities, but might do so where there are strong relationships in the local area and the proposal has potential to achieve a substantial impact.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Animal welfare.
- Contact boxing, except where donor advised.
- Businesses and personal profit.
- Deficit funding.
- General large appeals.
- Medical research and equipment, except where donor advised.
- Activities which are normally the responsibility of central or local government.
- Awards from the same fund in a 12-month period.
- Projects which duplicate an existing service in an area.
- Fundraisers and fundraising events.
- Advancement of religion including buildings solely for religious purposes, except where donor advised.
- Party political activities.
- Retrospective funding unless through a disaster appeal.
- Purchase of vehicles, except where donor advised.
- Groups or individuals who have not returned their monitoring form.
- Beautification projects, except where donor advised.
- National organisations who do not have a local presence within Cumbria.
The funding can be used for different purposes:
- Strategic grants are intended to improve or maintain the capacity of organisations promoting the financial health and wellbeing of people. Funding can be used to provide an opportunity to scale up promising innovations and/or improve existing initiatives.
- Community Grants are aimed at community organisations that are working to improve the life skills, education, employability and enterprise of disadvantaged people or support vulnerable, older people. These are likely to be one-off grants.
Priority will be given to projects that can demonstrate a clear need and/or demand for their service.
Cumberland Building Society’s operating area of Cumbria, Dumfriesshire, Lancaster, Preston and Haltwhistle
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted by one of the following deadline dates:
- 20 August 2021
- 5 November 2021
- 21 January 2022
Applications are reviewed by the Cumbria Community Foundation's Main Grants Committee.
Applications must be made online via the Cumbria Community Foundation website.
Contact the Cumbria Community Foundation for further information.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- Annalee Holliday
Cumbria Community Foundation
Tel: 01900 825760
Email: [email protected]