After closing its capital funding streams last year to focus on revenue grants during the Covid-19 crisis, Garfield Weston Foundation is now open to applications across all its grants programmes: capital, core costs and projects.
Regular grants of up to £100,000 can be used for:
- Capital costs - for tangible things, such as a building project, repairs, equipment etc.
- Revenue/unrestricted core costs - towards the general running costs of the organisation. The grants are typically unrestricted and can be used towards costs such as general salaries (but not a specific position or job), rent, programme costs etc.
- Project costs - for a very specific project or activity and would include all the costs involved in delivering the project, including staff costs and a reasonable percentage of overheads if relevant.
The following types of organisations working in the areas of welfare, youth, community, arts, faith, environment, education, health, and museums and heritage can apply:
- UK registered charities working in the UK.
- Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIOs).
- Schools, universities or registered educational charities that are either exempt under Charity Commission guidelines or are registered charities.
- Faith-based organisations that are either exempt under the Charity Commission guidelines or are registered charities.
- Housing associations.
- Museums and galleries.
Organisations must be based and operate within the UK.
Match funding is required. The Foundation recommends that applicants have around half of their funding identified before applying. A grant is unlikely to be for more than around 10% of the total costs of the budget.
There are no deadlines. Applications for grants of up to £100,000 can be made at any time and are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
How To Apply
Applications for a Regular Grant of less than £100,000 may be made at any time throughout the year and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. There are no deadlines. It takes around four months from the time an application is received to notification of a decision.
The guidelines and an online application form can be found on the Foundation's website. Groups should read the guidelines before starting the application process.
Major Grants cannot be applied for via the Foundation’s website. Instead, applicants should email a one page summary to Grants Assistant Ciara Molloy ([email protected]) outlining what they are raising funds for, the total cost and fundraising target. They will then be given bespoke guidance on whether they are eligible. Charities applying for £100,000 or more are expected to have an annual income in excess of £1 million.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- Ciara Molloy
Garfield Weston Foundation
10 Grosvenor Street
Tel: 020 7399 6565
Email: [email protected]