Grants are available for individuals, businesses, small charities and community groups for hedgerow restoration, maintenance and planting projects across the Lake District.
- Funding body:
- Lake District Foundation
- Maximum value:
- Application deadline:
The Lake District Foundation was established as a charity in 2017 with the aim of promoting conservation, environment, and cultural heritage projects in the Lake District.
The aim of this grant is to achieve the planting of 4,000 metres of native hedgerows across the Lake District. This is part of a wider commitment to sustain the landscape, wildlife, and cultural heritage of the region, and to regenerate the Lake District as successful example of sustainable development in action.
Objectives of Fund
The funding will support the purchasing and planting of native hedgerows as well as restoration of old hedgerows in the Lake District.
There is no set minimum or maximum grant; however, requests for smaller amounts of funding will be favoured as limited funding is available.
Match Funding Restrictions
Match funding is encouraged where it increases the impact of any potential funding allocated.
Who Can Apply
The following are eligible to apply:
- Small and medium size enterprises (according to the SMEs definitions)
- Small charities.
- Community groups.
Applicants must be operating in Cumbria and must able to provide evidence for the environmental value of their project.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Work that has already taken place.
- Planting non-native hedgerows.
- Activity that is being covered by another grant funding scheme (cannot be double funded).
- Activity where environmental value cannot be demonstrated.
- Activity outside of the Lake District region.
Funding is intended to support the following activities:
- Purchasing and planting of native hedgerows.
- Planting between 50-100m of native hedgerow (double or single fenced) at a cost of around £20 per metre (double fenced).
- Restoration of old hedgerows using the gapping up technique.
- Maintenance of existing hedgerows.
The funding is for planting and laying to be carried out between October 2021 and March 2022.
How To Apply
There are two funding rounds in 2021. The first application round is now closed.
The second application window will be open from 1 August (9am) to 31 August 2021 (5pm).
Guidance notes and the application form can be found on the Lake District Foundation’s website.
Applications must be submitted by email.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
Lake District Foundation
Murley Moss Business Park
Tel: 01539 822622
Email: [email protected]