At the 2020 Spending Review the Government committed additional capital investment in the education estate to support levelling up education across England. This included £83 million in 2021-22 to ensure that post-16 providers can accommodate the expected demographic increase in 16 to 19-year-olds.
The core objectives of the post-16 capacity fund are:
- To provide additional capacity in 16-19 providers, where there is due to be a demographic increase in learners and there is not enough existing capacity to accommodate that increase
- To ensure that provision to be delivered through the additional space developed meets local and national skills requirements and is reflective of learner demand; and
- To do so in the most efficient and sustainable way possible, to ensure value for money for Government investment, and to support the target set by Government for the UK to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050.
Eligible providers are invited to bid for capital funding to support these objectives.
Eligible applicants must be:
- An FE college established as a further education corporation under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 (FHEA 1992)
- A designated institution as per section 28 of FHEA 1992
- A Sixth Form College as defined by section 91(3) Further and Higher Education Act 1992
- An academy established as per s.1A(1)(a) Academies Act 2010 including and limited to:
- 16-19 only Academies
- 16-19 only Free Schools
- University Technical Colleges (UTCs)
- Studio Schools providing technical education
- Maths Schools.
Applicants may submit multiple projects per college corporation or MAT as applicable, but only one application should be submitted per site.
The minimum project threshold is £100,000 (excluding recoverable VAT) and the maximum is £4 million
Applications must be submitted by the deadline of 14 June 2021.
Fund details | GRANTfinder
How To Apply
Completed application forms and supporting documents must be emailed to: [email protected]. by the deadline of 14 June 2021.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- Post-16 Capacity Fund Enquiries
Department for Education (DfE)
Email: [email protected]