Grants are available for locally based small-scale registered charities in the UK to support children's summer playschemes.
- Funding body:
- Woodward Charitable Trust
- Maximum value:
- £ 1,000
- Application deadline:
The Woodward Charitable Trust is one of the Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts and was established under a Trust Deed dated 26 July 1988.
Objectives of Fund
The funding aims to support small-scale organisations that provide children's summer playschemes that run for a minimum of two weeks or ten days across the summer holidays.
One-off grants of between £500 and £1,000 are available. Around 35 grants are made per year.
Match Funding Restrictions
Applicants must state any funding from other sources.
Who Can Apply
UK registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £100,000 can apply.
Terms and Conditions
Applicants must clearly state who the target users are, what the projected outcomes of the work are and how many people will benefit from the grant.
Funding is not available for the following:
- Trips that are only social. Trustees prefer to fund trips that are educational and motivational or relate to the natural environment such as to the seaside or countryside.
- Charities whose annual turnover exceeds £100,000.
- Overseas projects.
- Individuals in any capacity.
- Educational fees.
Funding is available for the provision of children's summer playschemes for children between the ages of 5-16 years.
Preference is given to:
- Small local playschemes that provide a wide-ranging programme of activities. Trustees prefer activities that are relatively inexpensive such as crafts and cooking, as well as outdoor activities and sport.
- Schemes that involve a large number of children.
- Schemes catering for those from disadvantaged backgrounds or who have a disability.
- Schemes where past users are encouraged to come back and help as volunteers.
Only projects that run for a minimum of two weeks or ten days across the summer holidays will be considered. Trustees prefer to fund trips that are educational and motivational or relate to the natural environment such as to the seaside or countryside.
The Trustees recognise that the last year has placed an exceptional burden on children and families and that this has impacted mental health as well as the need for some children to catch up on missed education. It has put aside additional funds for this year's summer schemes to help in the mitigation of this and would welcome applications which address these issues.
How To Apply
The 2021 deadline for applications is 8 April 2021 (12 noon) for consideration at the Trustees' meeting in May 2021.
This year, due to home working, the Trust has moved to an online application form which is available on the Trust's website.
Applicants are advised to stay up to date with the Trust's diary page as deadlines may change.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- Karin Hooper
Woodward Charitable Trust
5 Wilton Road
Tel: 020 7410 0330
Email: [email protected]