Friday , November , 16 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency they need to come in and see an officer at the Civic Centre. We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

What you will need to rent a private property

Many private landlords ask for a cash deposit before they will grant a tenancy. This it to act as an insurance against damage to their property. You should always check with the landlord, how much deposit will be and on what terms, before going to see a property. You will usually need to pay the deposit the day the tenancy begins along with the first rent payment (usually 4 weeks in advance).

Tenancy Deposit Protection came into force on Friday, 6 April 2007 and the Government has awarded contracts to three companies to run the scheme (details available on request).

This means that the deposit you pay will be held by one of these companies until the end of the tenancy and an independent agency will decide on any disputes about getting back your deposit. If the landlord wants a deposit, ask for the name of the company where it will be held.

The Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DiGS), helps people who need a private tenancy by providing the landlord with a guarantee rather than payment of the deposit up front.

If you cannot afford a deposit, you may be able to get help from the Deposit Guarantee Scheme, please ask for a leaflet from the Council, Citizens Advice Bureau, Connexions or Community Projects Carlisle (CPC).

You might also need references from previous landlords and from your employer if you are working. You should check with the landlord what is required (such as references, credit check, deposit, how much rent in advance?) before going to see a property.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically