Wednesday , October , 24 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency they need to come in and see an officer at the Civic Centre. We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Private tenancies

You should ask your landlord for a written copy of your tenancy agreement and always get a receipt for any money you have paid to the landlord. It is a good idea to check and agree with your landlord the extent of any damage already made to the property before you move in to avoid problems later getting your deposit back. If you own a camera, take photos of each room, particularly areas where there are marks or damage. You can then refer back to these if there is a dispute when your tenancy ends.

Private properties are let on what is known as an assured shorthold tenancy. This means that you are secure in the property for a minimum of six months as long as you don't break any of the tenancy rules laid down in your tenancy agreement.

You need to agree with the landlord how long your shorthold tenancy will last. It can last for a set period (known as a "fixed term") or can be left open ended. An assured shorthold tenancy does not give you the right to have your tenancy extended after the original period has ended. It is well worth asking your landlord how long he or she is planning to let the property, especially if you want to avoid having to move on again in the future.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically