Monday , December , 10 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency; advice is available from Officers at the Civic Centre during normal office hours, Monday to Friday. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Paying for private rented accommodation

If you are planning to rent a private property, check that you can afford to pay the rent. Don't forget that you will also have to pay the Council Tax and bills such as electricity, gas and water.

If you are claiming benefits or you are on a low income, you will probably get housing benefit to help you pay your rent. Before you take on a tenancy and claim housing benefit, you can ask Carlisle City Council’s housing benefit department for a

pre-tenancy determination. This will give you the rent figure which will be used to work out your housing benefit. However, the pre- tenancy determination does not guarantee that you will get housing benefit or tell you the amount you will get. Remember that your housing benefit can be reduced for a number of reasons, such as the rent being above the normal market rents or the property being too large for your needs.

You can get a claim form for housing benefit and pre-tenancy determination from the Customer Contact Centre at Carlisle City Council, Civic Centre, or by calling 01228 817200.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically