Wednesday , October , 24 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency they need to come in and see an officer at the Civic Centre. We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Ending an assured short-hold tenancy

Your landlord can ask you to leave at any time after the six months, providing any fixed term you agreed when you move in has ended. He or she must give you two months notice in writing when he or she wants you to leave.

Your landlord can apply to the County Court for a Court Order ending the tenancy at any time for certain reasons such as rent arrears, anti-social behaviour or damage to the property.

Your landlord cannot evict you without a possession order from the County Court.

If you have problems with your landlord trying to force you out of your home, please contact either Carlisle City Council’s Housing Services, the Cumbria Law Centre, the Citizens Advice Bureau or Shelter.

If you want to leave your home before the tenancy term ends, you should discuss this with your landlord first before giving notice in writing to your landlord. You should give as much notice as possible to avoid problems getting back your deposit but if your landlord is not willing to release you before the end of the tenancy you could be charged for the whole of this period.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically