Sunday , February , 18 2018

Homelessness Advice and Information

If you think you are at risk of losing your home or are homeless , please contact us at the earliest opportunity.  We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm.

OUT OF HOURS: If you are experiencing homelessness and require emergency advice outside of office hours please ring 01228 817386 for assistance.

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately.

PLEASE NOTE: John Street men's accommodation is temporarily closed pending reinstatement as a result of flood damage in December 2015; we anticipate that the scheme will reopen in January 2018.  We continue to provide temporary accommodation for single males who are statutorily homeless within the City.

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817079
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours) 01228 817386

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Finding a home to rent from a Housing Association

Carlisle City Council no longer have any houses. They belong to Riverside Carlisle (formerly Carlisle Housing Association) which is responsible for letting, maintaining and managing these properties.

You can get a housing application form from Riverside Carlisle, English Gate Plaza, Botchergate, Carlisle, Tel: 0845 345 8500. Information about their Lettings Policy will be provided with this form.

The demand for their properties is very high and there are limited vacancies and so it could be some time before they offer you a property. The waiting time for a property may vary depending on the area you chose. Housing Officers at Riverside Carlisle will be able to give you information regarding waiting times and the areas where properties are more readily available.

If you are planning to live in rented accommodation for a long time, housing associations offer cheaper rents and more secure tenancies.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically