Wednesday , October , 24 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency they need to come in and see an officer at the Civic Centre. We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

What is a housing association?

Housing associations have been building and providing homes for many years. They get funding from the Government and the Council to make sure that rents are reasonably priced.

Housing associations do not make profits. Any money left over after building, maintaining and managing the houses is re-invested to improve them.

Housing associations are regulated by a Government body called the Housing Corporation. Housing associations have to work within the strict rules and guidelines that are set by the Housing Corporation. Councils also monitor the way housing associations provide homes and are encouraged to report back to the Housing Corporation.

Housing associations work closely with the Council when new homes are going to be built.

If you feel there is a need for more affordable homes in your area, you should contact Carlisle City Council’s Housing Section. The Council works with the local community to decide whether or not new homes should be funded, where they should be built, and who should provide and manage those homes

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically