Wednesday , October , 24 2018

Housing and Homelessness Advice and Information

Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you are at risk of losing your accommodation so that we can give you appropriate advice and assistance to try and prevent this from occurring. if you or someone you know requires advice and assistance in relation to their housing situation you can contact our services directly by using this link

For anyone that is homeless tonight or experiencing a housing emergency they need to come in and see an officer at the Civic Centre. We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm. Out of hours please contact the appropriate telephone number detailed below. 

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately to report this by any of the channels listed or via Streetlink

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817428
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single women and families) 01228 817386
 Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours - single males)  01228 817373

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Ending your Housing Association Tenancy

All the Housing Associations in Carlisle need four weeks notice in writing from you to inform them of your intention to end your tenancy. If you do not give notice, you will be liable for the rent due for these four weeks. You should make sure that your home is left clean and tidy and that any damage caused by you is put right before you leave. If you don't do this, you may be charged by the Housing Association for the work they have to do to put right any damage you leave behind.

A Housing Association can only evict you from your home if it first obtains a possession order from the County Court. Evictions can be granted for a number of reasons, including not paying your rent, behaving in an anti-social way that annoys your neighbours (including people you invite into your home) and damaging your home.

If you need this document to be provided in large print, on tape, in Braille or in other languages, please contact us on 01228 817000.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically