Get Winter Ready
Information on how to be winter ready is now available. Advice on general flooding, winter driving, how to be prepared for emergencies and much more is available at www.cumbria.gov.uk/winter
Support is also available from ACTion with Communities in Cumbria (ACT). They are encouraging households across the county to consider how to be better prepared in the event of an emergency and has produced a simple Household Emergency Plan leaflet to help.
Families and households can better cope with emergencies by preparing in advance and working together as a team. The leaflet suggests practical action you can take at home, including: having a plan; what to put in an emergency ‘grab bag’; how to stay informed; and responding to an incident.
The Household Emergency Plan leaflet is available online at www.cumbriaaction.org.uk or for free copies to distribute in your community, or for more information, please contact ACT on 01228 817224 or email [email protected]
The Cumbria Strategic Flood Partnership includes the Environment Agency, Cumbria County Council, Carlisle City Council (and other district councils), United Utilities and a wide range of representatives from other organisations and community groups. Alongside recovery work, communities and organisations came together to produce the Cumbria Flood Action Plan. This aims to make Cumbria better prepared to manage flood risk for the future. The Cumbria Flood Action Plan identifies 102 actions across Cumbria to reduce flood risk and increase resilience to flooding. To find out more, visit www.cumbriastrategicfloodpartnership.org
Carlisle Flood Plan
We have also produced a Carlisle Flood Plan, in partnership with Cumbria County Council and the Environment Agency. This sets out what actions we will take in the event of a flood. A copy of the plan is available as a downloadable document.
How you can get involved
- Individuals and communities are encouraged to help shape and deliver the Cumbria Flood Action Plan. If you are keen to get involved, the Environment Agency can direct you to your local flood action group. Email them at [email protected]
- There are a number of tools to help communities produce emergency plans. These are available at www.cumbriaaction.org.uk/WhatWeDo/CommunityEmergencyPlanning
- If you would like further advice or support on forming a community group and developing a flood plan you can contact the Environment Agency at [email protected]
Get prepared for flooding
- Contact your local Flood Action Group
- Sign up for flood warnings - call Floodline on 0345 988 1188
- For flood alerts and warnings go to the Flood Warnings for England webpage.
- Flood alerts and warnings are available at https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings
- Make your home more resilient to flooding - advice is available at www.gov.uk/flood
- Put together a personal flood plan for you and your family. A downloadable document is available to the right of this page. The personal flood plan includes a list of things you should do (like moving sentimental items to safety) and provides space for you to note down important contact details such as your utility companies and insurance.
- Sign up to Cumbria Community Messaging at www.cumbriacommunitymessaging.co.uk to receive free weather and flood information.
- In the event of a flood or other major incident, listen for updates on BBC Radio Cumbria and follow @Cumbriapolice, @CumbriaCC and @EnvAgencyNW on Twitter.
Flood Recovery Support
The Big Lottery Fund has announced a £1million package to help Cumbrian communities become more resilient. The 'Rebuilding Together' programme will take place over the next three years, led by Cumbria CVS and delivered in partnership with Cumbria Action for Sustainability (CAfS) and Action with Communities in Cumbria (ACT). To find out more call 01228 817224, email [email protected] or visit www.cumbriaaction.org.uk/WhatWeDo/CommunityEmergencyPlanning.aspx
Flood Re is designed to ensure affordable flood insurance is available for those homes at the highest risk of flooding. Flood Re increases the availability and choice for home owners, making it easier to shop around to get the best deal. Visit www.floodre.co.uk/customer-info