Which bin do I use
We offer a range of containers to help you to recycle and manage your rubbish. You can collect green boxes, white bags, green bags and gull proof sacks from the Civic Centre during office hours. Alternatively, please use the online form on the right to arrange delivery of any of these containers and wheeled bins. Charges apply for some containers.
- Food and drinks cartons (tetrapaks) can be recycled along with cardboard and paper in your green bag.
- We CAN collect black plastic trays! Our sorting systems don't have any issues with black plastics.
- Paper is now collected from a green bag, instead of a green box.
- Please place your containers out by 7am so you don't miss the collection.
For more information on which items can be recycled in each container please see our how to recycle guide. You can check your recycling collection calendar using the postcode finder. Thank you for recycling
What happens to my recycling?
The plastic, cans and glass go to Cumbria Wastes’ MRF (sorting facility) where all three materials are separated and then recycled in the UK: -
- The glass is crushed by machinery and removed first
- then any contamination is manually picked
- and finally the cans and plastics are separated using magnetic forces and blowing machinery.
We accept all types of plastic bottles (including detergent bottles), tubs, yogurt pots, food trays (including black trays). Black trays are not a target materials as they are of a lesser value but they are still recycled as a fuel.