Thursday , July , 25 2024
| Language and Accessibility

Housing Grants

Financial assistance up to £30,000 is available to provide aids and adaptations, so that people who need help to gain better access to, or within their home, can maintain their independence for as long as possible.

Items which can be included are stairlifts; level access showers; ramps; ground floor extensions for bedrooms / en-suite shower rooms etc.

Means testing applies in certain cases, but this excludes aids and adaptations for children and those receiving:

  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit.
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance (Income Based)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit (Household Income Below £15,050).
  • Elements of Universal Credit

Referrals for Disabled Facility Grants (DFG) usually come through Adult Social Care (ASC) contact 0300 3033 249, however in the event that you do not qualify for assistance from ASC, the City Council may still be able to assist you.

All of our Disabled Facility and Discretionary grants are run through a managed technical service. This allows the Council to assist you with your application form, and support the household through to the completion of the works.

Independent Living Grants are also available for stairlifts, level access facilities, ramps or any other works to enable people to stay safe in their homes. These grants are available for those that would not qualify for traditional DFG, either the works are not eligible or the contribution on the means test would exceed the cost of the works or be unaffordable. There are various ways you can qualify for assistance through an Independent Living Grant. The grant maximum is £10,000.

All of the grants available will not be paid retrospectively and a grant approval must be in writing from the City Council before any works commence.

For further information on the grants available contact 01228 817200 or e-mail [email protected]

Discretionary Housing Grants for Home Improvements

The City Council's Home Improvement Agency have offers and grants available for heating, repairs, gas safety, boiler servicing and energy efficiency measures, helping you maintain your home and to improve your health and well-being.

You do not have to be in receipt of Welfare Benefit to qualify for our Discretionary Housing Grant . We also make referrals to energy suppliers for eligible residents under the governments Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Scheme.  

 For more information please Visit our Homelife Web Page, contact 01228 817111 or email [email protected]

Empty Property Grants

As an empty property owner, you may qualify for financial assistance and tax breaks for returning the empty property back into occupation. Please contact us for more information. 

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically