Funding for not-for-profit organisations in England or Northern Ireland to significantly improve a built or natural environment which is of regional or national significance.
Biffa Award is currently accepting Expressions of Interest to its 2023 Partnership Grants Scheme.
Grants of between £250,000 and £1 million (an increase of £250,000 from last year) will support capital projects that address either of the following themes (the project must not cross over the two themes):
- Built Environment projects should restore, modernise and/or improve facilities such as cultural, heritage or visitor centres. The facility should be inclusive and promote learning, creativity and participation to large numbers of visitors on a national scale.
- Natural Environment projects should restore and/or improve the environment and the natural systems or habitats that support it. Projects should be working to Biodiversity 2020: A Strategy for England’s Wildlife and Ecosystem Services, its predecessor or a Local Biodiversity Action Plan.
Projects should start in February 2024 and be completed by February 2025 and they must:
- Be located within 15 miles of a significant Biffa Operation or active Biffa Landfill site.
- Be located within 10 miles of any licensed landfill site (not necessarily owned by Biffa Group Limited) in England and Northern Ireland.
- Have a project site open for a minimum of 104 days of full public access to the project per year.
Applications can be made for 100% of the projects costs; however, only 90% of the grant can be paid by Biffa Award using Landfill Tax Credits. The remaining 10% needs to be provided by another source.
Grants should be used for site-based improvement work, with the majority of costs expected to be direct capital delivery work.
Organisations in England and Northern Ireland can apply as long as they are fully constituted, charitable or not-for-profit organisation with no share capital and enrol with ENTRUST as an Environmental Body to access funding.
Applications will not be accepted from local authorities, hospices, hospitals, day-care centres, rehabilitation units, residential care facilities, village halls or schools.
There is a two-stage application process with Expressions of Interest being initially accepted and those organisations who are successful at the first stage being invited to complete the full application form.
The deadline for Expressions of Interest is 1 June 2023 (noon).
How To Apply
There is a two stage application process:
- The first stage is to complete the Expression of Interest form by the deadline of noon on 1 June 2023. Notification of decisions will be in July 2023.
- The second stage is for those who are invited to complete a full application form which has a deadline of noon on 1 September 2023. Notification of decisions will be in mid November 2023.
The Expression of Interest guidance notes for the 2023 round can be found on the Biffa Award website and should be read first.