A fund which aims to increase and diversify stock for tree planting in England has reopened to applications.
The Tree Production Innovation Fund (TPIF) is designed to encourage the development and adoption of new technologies and ways of working that will enhance the quantity, quality and diversity of stock available for tree planting in England.
Applicants are invited to apply for grant funding to support projects designed to address one or more of the following challenges identified through stakeholder engagement as barriers to tree production:
- Making better use of available seed and vegetative planting material to maximise the quantity, quality and diversity of trees produced.
- Developing growing systems to enhance their efficiency and resilience to change, whilst delivering improved quality and diversity of product.
- Using innovative environmentally sustainable weed control solutions to reduce reliance on herbicides.
The TPIF is open to a range of applicants. Applications from consortia and new entrants to the sector will be welcomed. The following groups are identified as likely potential applicants to the fund:
- Private sector nurseries, organisations and seed suppliers.
- Private sector research and technology suppliers.
- Public bodies partnered with private sector third party organisations.
- Research institutes.
- Universities and colleges.
- Horticultural and agricultural growers.
Public bodies will be required to partner with private sector third party organisations to be eligible for funding. Lead applicants to the fund will need to be based in the UK.
A total of £2 million in capital grant funding will be made available through the TPIF to support innovation projects. Applicants may submit multi-year proposals spanning up to three financial years (ending March 2025). Proposals, whether standalone or multi-year, must have a minimum total cost of £20,000. Projects may be costed up to £200,000 in any given financial year (2023-24 and 2024-25).
The deadline for applications to be submitted is 9 May 2023 (23:55 BST).
How To Apply
The 2023 deadline for applications is 9 May 2023 (23:55 BST).
A single stage application process will be followed. For more information, visit the UK Government website.