Free Home Energy Efficiency Grants
Homelife Carlisle Home Improvement Agency (HIA) have grants and schemes available to assist with saving energy including loft, cavity wall and external wall insulation; double glazing; central heating; boiler and fire servicing and draught proofing. You can find out more by visiting our webpage or calling us on 01228 817111 or email on [email protected]
Saving Energy in the Home
Keep warm and well this winter
In recent years, we've had the coldest winters on record with temperatures dropping to minus 19 degrees Celsius in some areas of Carlisle. We are all more likely to feel the chill in winter, but cold weather can lead to more serious health problems such as heart attacks, strokes or pneumonia. By staying warm, you can stay healthy and well.
- Keep your home warm.
- Eat well and stock up with tinned and frozen foods.
- Drink plenty of hot drinks.
- Wrap up warm when you go out.
- Stay active, move around your home.
- Keep this number near your phone, if you don’t feel well ring NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
Prepare your home
Gas and electricity are expensive. it is important not to lose heat from your home. There are many ways to stop heat escaping:
- Make sure your loft has at least 10-11 inches (270mm) of insulation.
- If you have wall cavity walls, insulate them too.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder and pipes.
- Have your boiler and heating system checked.
Don’t turn down your heating during cold spells
It is important that you stay warm, if you are worried about your fuel bills contact your energy supplier they will be able to help you budget your account.
If you use a card meter ensure you have a stock of top-up cards in the house, and don’t forget your meter has emergency credit.
Electricity Priority Services Register
Electricity North West owns, operates and maintains the North West’s electricity network. Occasionally planned and unplanned power cuts do happen and for many customers, being without power can cause extra difficulties that might affect their daily needs. By signing up to our Priority Services Register we can provide extra support to ensure you’re safe and comfortable until the power is back on.
This is a FREE service and some of the benefits include
- Receive proactive updates on power cuts in your area.
- Nominate a friend or family member to be contacted in the event of a power cut in your area.
- We can provide practical items such as warm blankets or a torch to help prepare for a power cut.
- Text message weather alerts.
We also offer free energy saving advice to help reduce bills, keep your home warmer and minimise the impact on the environment to our Priority Services Registered customers.
Learn more on our website
Useful telephone numbers
Managing your bills
Home Heat Help Line
0800 33 66 99
Heating Breakdowns and Energy Efficiency Measures
Saving Energy in Carlisle
Did you know?
- We lose 25% of our heat through the roof and 35% of our heat through the walls.
- Insulating your tank can save you £10 a year.
- By turning your room thermostat down by 1°C can reduce your heating bills by up to 10%.