You are Here : Residents  >  Housing and Homeless  >  Multiple Occupation
Friday , April , 20 2018

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you are a landlord and you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you may need a HMO licence. A HMO is a building or a part of a building (such as a flat) that is occupied by more than two persons living as more than one household.
Not all HMOs need to be licensed – see frequently asked questions below:

Applying for a HMO Licence

If you think you have a property that needs to be licensed, please contact Private Sector Housing Services, at the City Council on 01228 817320 or e-mail [email protected]. We will take your name, address, and an application pack will be forwarded to you. Alternatively, you can download the application from the link below for completion and return to Carlisle City Council.

Application Form for a HMO Licence (see downloads)

Application Fee

Landlords will have to pay a fee to cover the cost of the licence procedure. The fee has now been set at £447 for 2015/16 for up to 8 letting rooms, with each additional let being charged at £8.75. A maximum fee of £800 applies. Once a licence has been granted, a licence will normally last for five years, although it can be for a shorter period.

Public Register of HMO licences

The council maintain a public register of all HMO licences, together with any temporary exemption notices served and details of any interim or final management orders made.

You can find out if a property has a license, or is applying for a license, or you can get a full version of the public register of HMO licenses by e-mailing us at [email protected] or by phoning us on 01228 817341.

A restricted electronic version of the public register of HMO licences is now available from the Council and is available upon request.

The full version of the Public Register, which includes the landlords details, can only be viewed by attending the office as indicated above.

What is an HMO?

  • A dwelling will be an HMO if three or more unrelated people are sharing facilities
  • Buildings comprising non self contained flats are HMOs
  • Houses converted to self contained flats before 1991 and not in accordance with the 1991 building regulations will be HMOs
  • A self contained flat converted to 1991 Building Regulations or later if occupied by more than three unrelated persons will be an HMO

The change in definition particularly impacts on smaller shared houses, those occupied by students, which have been brought back into the HMO definition.

Amenity Standards in Licensable Houses in Multiple Occupation (see downloads)

LACORS Fire and Safety Guidance (see downloads)

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically