You are Here : Residents  >  Housing and Homeless  >  Multiple Occupation
Friday , April , 20 2018

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you are a landlord and you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you may need a HMO licence. A HMO is a building or a part of a building (such as a flat) that is occupied by more than two persons living as more than one household.
Not all HMOs need to be licensed – see frequently asked questions below:

Applying for a HMO Licence

If you think you have a property that needs to be licensed, please contact Private Sector Housing Services, at the City Council on 01228 817320 or e-mail [email protected]. We will take your name, address, and an application pack will be forwarded to you. Alternatively, you can download the application from the link below for completion and return to Carlisle City Council.

Application Form for a HMO Licence (see downloads)

Application Fee

Landlords will have to pay a fee to cover the cost of the licence procedure. The fee has now been set at £447 for 2015/16 for up to 8 letting rooms, with each additional let being charged at £8.75. A maximum fee of £800 applies. Once a licence has been granted, a licence will normally last for five years, although it can be for a shorter period.

Public Register of HMO licences

The council maintain a public register of all HMO licences, together with any temporary exemption notices served and details of any interim or final management orders made.

You can find out if a property has a license, or is applying for a license, or you can get a full version of the public register of HMO licenses by e-mailing us at [email protected] or by phoning us on 01228 817341.

A restricted electronic version of the public register of HMO licences is now available from the Council and is available upon request.

The full version of the Public Register, which includes the landlords details, can only be viewed by attending the office as indicated above.

Do all HMOs have to be licensed?

Under the Act. There are three types of property, which need to be licensed.

  1. Mandatory licensing - of properties that are;
    • Three or more storeys high (This criteria was removed with effect from 1st April 2018)
    • Have five or more people in more than one household, and
    • Share amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities.
  2. Additional Licensing - HMOs

A discretionary power that councils may decide to apply to a particular type of HMO, for example, to include an existing registration scheme.

  1. Selective licensing - of other residential accommodation.
    Properties that are not subject to HMO licensing could be covered under a selective licensing scheme. This where the Council may declare that certain areas, for example, where there is low demand for housing or issues with anti-social behaviour, maybe appropriate to selective licensing.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically