Grants are available for not-for-profit organisations for projects that will benefit people in their spare time in communities located within the vicinity of a Biffa operation.
Biffa Award is part of the Landfill Communities Fund, a Government tax credit scheme that enables landfill operators to contribute money to organisations for a wide range of community and environmental projects in the vicinity of landfill sites. The Biffa Award is managed by the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts, which administers several different funds covering broad environmental themes on behalf of organisations such as Biffa Group Limited, European Union, The People's Postcode Lottery, Big Lottery Fund and Network Rail.
Biffa Award provides and administers the Main Grants programme across England and Northern Ireland.
Objectives of Fund
The Biffa Award Recreation theme provides grants to support projects that will benefit people within their free time who are living in communities within five miles of a significant Biffa Group Ltd operation or within 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site in England or Northern Ireland.
Grants of £10,000 to £75,000 are available.
The total cost of the project must be less than £200,000 including VAT.
Match Funding Restrictions
Projects that have already secured the majority of match funding needed to deliver the project will be given preference.
Third Party Contributor
Under Landfill Communities Fund regulations, only 90% of a grant can be paid by the landfill operator using landfill tax credits. Applicants are required to find a third-party contributor, who is not part of their organisation, for the remaining 10% of the total grant that is being requested.
Who Can Apply
Applications will be accepted from not-for-profit organisations in England and Northern Ireland.
Be applying for a project site located within five miles of a significant Biffa operation or 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site.
Be applying for a project site located within 10 miles of any landfill site (not necessarily owned by Biffa Group Limited) in England and Northern Ireland.
Be eligible for enrolment and registration with the scheme's regulator ENTRUST.
Have a project site open for a minimum of 104 days of full public access to the project per year.
Own the project site or have signed a lease agreement with the landowner of more than 10 years.
Applicants should check their project location's eligibility using Biffa Awards Postcode Checker, which can be found on the Biffa Award's website.
Areas of England and Northern Ireland that are located near a Biffa landfill site or a significant Biffa Group Limited operation.
Recreation grants are available to fund site-based improvement work on projects that will benefit people within their free time who live in the vicinity of Biffa operations. Many projects under this theme also have elements of the other Biffa Award themes within them (Community Buildings, Rebuilding Biodiversity). Applicants will have to show evidence of wider community use, involvement and consultation.
Projects might include:
Nature reserves and nature trails.
Landscaping including boardwalks, trees and shrubs.
Building work (eg communal space, kitchen and toilets) within wider community areas of sporting clubhouses that have a wider community use and are not for the sole use of sports club members.
Biffa Award tends to receive more applications under this theme than others.
Applications should outline how the applicant intends to ensure the project is sustainable following completion. It is essential that they outline how they will maintain, publicise and develop the project following completion of the improvements.
How To Apply
Expression of Interest applications are accepted at any time.
An expression of interest form is available to complete online at the Biffa Award website. Applicants who are successful at this initial stage will then be invited to submit a full application form.
The Trust meets four times a year to review applications - in February, May, July and November.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
The Wildlife Trusts
The Kiln, Waterside
Tel: 01636 670000
Email: [email protected]