You are Here : Residents  >  Grants and Funding
Monday , June , 21 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Grants and External Funding

Please use the menu below to access information on grants and external funding news and resources. 

grants and funding image


Open 4 Business Portal

Open 4 business logo image

Carlisle City Council is providing local businesses with free access to its local business support and grant portal provided by Open4Business. This is tailored for the Carlisle area and includes local, regional and national schemes.

Business can also search for funding relevant to their size and sector. To use the portal, you will first need to register with Open4Business.


Grants and Funding


Grants available for communities, heritage and environment

12 November 2020/Categories: Grants_and_Funding

The Fellfoot Forward Landscape Partnership Scheme, led by the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Partnership, has opened the window for applications to two grant schemes; one for community groups and another for environmental projects.

Fellfoot Forward is funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and will conserve, enhance and celebrate the natural and cultural heritage of a special part of the North West of England, focusing on the fellside and valley landscapes between Hallbankgate and Melmerby, including a large section of the Cumbrian part of the North Pennines AONB, as well as the villages and settlements of the lowland area, to the east of the River Eden.

The scheme will bring together management and restoration of habitats, such as hedges, woodland, and peatland, with community archaeology, conservation of historic buildings, community arts and education.

Scheme Manager, Emma Wright, said: “We are pleased to now be able to offer these grants to our local communities and farmers. By supporting local initiatives, whether it’s a community project or an environment grant, our grants offer an opportunity for local people to invest in our unique Fellfoot landscape. We know there is a wealth of ideas and expertise in Fellfoot communities and on local farms, so we’re really looking forward to receiving applications and getting projects on the ground.”

Community fund

Grants are available for groups and organisations who are involved in community projects that benefit the sustainability and well-being of Fellfoot Forward communities. A fund of £100,000 is set aside for community initiatives delivered over the four delivery years 2020-2023 via the Community Fund.

The Small Grants Fund is open for applications up to £500, which will be assessed by the North Pennines AONB Partnership’s Community Engagement Officer under delegated powers from the Community Fund Assessment Panel.

Applications for Community Fund grants over £500 but not exceeding £6,000 will be assessed by the North Pennines AONB Partnership’s Community Engagement Officer and presented to the Assessment Panel who will make decisions on grant awards.

For both funds up to 80% of total costs can be applied for, with the remaining 20% being made up of match funding or cash contributions from fundraising etc. and up to 10% as volunteer time calculated at £50 per day.

Environmental grants

Farming practices, many of which are generations-old, are responsible for protecting our soils, mitigating flood risks and conserving heritage and biodiversity. The Fellfoot Forward scheme will be working with farmers to safeguard high nature value farming and enhance habitats for wildlife. The Environment Grant allows landowners and farmers to apply for a 50% grant for conserving, enhancing and connecting habitats for wildlife, including:

  • hedgerow creation and maintenance

  • woodland creation and management

  • in-field tree planting

  • pond and wetland creation

  • rush control for breeding waders

  • other habitat creation/improvement works with clear benefits for native wildlife

Farmers will be able to fund the remaining 50% in cash expenditure or ‘in kind’ (including labour and time). The Fellfoot Environment Grant will offer up to £8,000 towards schemes. The Fellfoot Environment Grant is administered locally with an independent assessment panel made up of members of the local community with a good knowledge of the local landscape and its needs.

Community Fund information and application forms are available at Contact David Coverdale, Community Engagement Officer at the North Pennines AONB Partnership, email [email protected]

Environment Grant information is available at Tim Jacobs, Conservation Officer at the North Pennines AONB Partnership, will arrange a farm visit to discuss possible works, email [email protected].



Number of views (154)


Theme picker

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically